Python is an agile, robust, and expressive programming language that continues to build momentum. It combines the power of compiled languages with the simplicity and rapid development of scripting languages.
In Core Python Applications Programming, Third Edition, leading Python developer and corporate trainer Wesley Chun helps you take your Python knowledge to the next level.
This book has everything you need to become a versatile Python developer. You will be introduced to multiple areas of application development and gain knowledge that can be immediately applied to projects, and you will find code samples in both Python 2 and 3, including migration tips if that’s on your roadmap too. Some snippets will even run unmodified on 2.x or 3.x.
- Learn professional Python style, best practices, and good programming habits
- Build clients and servers using TCP, UDP, XML-RPC, and be exposed to higher-level libraries like SocketServer and Twisted
- Develop GUI applications using Tkinter and other available toolkits
- Improve application performance by writing extensions in C/C++, or enhance I/O-bound code with multithreading
- Discover SQL and relational databases, ORMs, and even non-relational (NonSQL) databases like MongoDB
- Learn the basics of Web programming, including Web clients and servers, plus CGI and WSGI
- Expose yourself to regular expressions and powerful text processing tools for creating and parsing CSV, JSON, and XML data
- Interface with popular Microsoft Office applications such as Excel, PowerPoint, and Outlook using COM client programming
- Dive deeper into Web development with the Django framework and cloud computing with Google App Engine
- Explore Java programming with Jython, the way to run Python code on the JVM
- Connect to Web services Yahoo! Finance to get stock quotes, or Yahoo! Mail, Gmail, and others to download or send e-mail
- Jump into the social media craze by learning how to connect to the Twitter and Google+ networks
Core Python Applications Programming, Third Edition, delivers:
- Broad coverage of a variety of areas of development used in real-world applications today
- Powerful insights into current and best practices for the intermediate Python programmer
- Dozens of code examples, from quick snippets to full-fledged applications
- A variety of exercises at the end of every chapter to help hammer the concepts home